Sunday, June 29, 2014

Meatballs with Chianti Tomato Reduction

While discussing dinner plans with a friend one morning, mentioned my plan to make meatballs that evening and didn't know what to do for sauce.  I'm not terribly keen on tomato sauces generally nor heavy cream sauces.  My friend suggested making a reduction using red wine, stewed tomatoes and broth as a base.  I was duly intrigued as she described how she makes it and felt confident enough that it was something even my limited cooking skilz could handle. 


KW, union boss, checking out the supplies

Modified a recipe from Country Girl's Joy of Cooking for the meatballs using beef and turkey.  Knowing mostly nothing about wine, went with a Chianti for the base.  Included stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  






While I don't have photo evidence as much, the reduction turned out brilliantly.  The meatballs were my best effort to date as well.  Will certainly give this another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment